Two fire calls within the past week, one resulting in a death has prompted a caution from Indianola Fire Department Chief Orlando Battle.
An early morning blaze on Jackson Street on Sunday took the life of Corey Hooker. According to Battle, the state fire marshal’s office ruled that fire as accidental—unknown causes.
The most recent call sent firefighters to the 100 block of Birdsong Street on Tuesday night where a heater, lit by the homeowner, caught some lint on fire and filled the residence with smoke.
Wintertime usually sees a rise in fire-related incidents and Battle advises to use extreme caution and that it is best to get a professional HVAC person to service your appliances.