Victim identified in Wednesday night shooting, one suspect still at large


One man and one woman are in custody, and another man is being sought in relation to a night of violence in Indianola that took the life of 24-year-old Deaubrey Roscoe and left two other people injured and hospitalized.

Indianola police are asking for the public's help in locating Damian Desmond Buck, who is wanted in connection with the shooting that took place Wednesday night on Oak Street.

Investigators had been searching for Buck and his brother Samuel Barnard Barnes 22, 608 Oak St., since shortly after the incident.

However, Barnes turned himself in to officers around 5 p.m. on Thursday and is charged with first-degree murder.

Judge Kuykendall Murry decided not to set a bond for him pending further investigation.

On Wednesday night police arrested Christanna Jamil Howard 23 and charged her with hindering prosecution--rendering criminal assistance for allegedly lying about what she knew about the incident.

IPD Sgt. Irish Johnson said her not being honest is possibly what caused a second shooting that resulted in two innocent people being injured.

Murry set her bond at $100,000, and Howard could also be facing a fine and up to five years imprisonment. The preliminary hearing for Howard and Barnes is tentatively set for May 21 at 3 p.m.

According to Johnson they received a tip that Buck was at a home in Greenville. However, Johnson said they must have just missed him, because when they got there, he was gone.

But they did retrieve some of his personal items, such as his ID card, bank card, belt and some clothing items.

Johnson said they are not sure how Buck got to Greenville, but he is likely on foot now and should still be considered armed and dangerous. Buck is apparently the shooter from the Wednesday night altercation.

Johnson said according to information they received, Roscoe and Barnes got into a physical fight inside of a home at 602-A Oak St., the homeowner made them leave and Roscoe reportedly went back to his home at 608 Oak St., while Barnes remained at the  602-A residence.

During the altercation between Barnes and Roscoe someone called Buck and when he arrived after the initial fight, Johnson said Barnes told him that he and Buck went into a back room for a discussion, but did not say what the discussion was about.

The two of them then left and went down the street to Roscoe's home where an argument between the three escalated to shots fired. Reportedly, Roscoe and Buck each had a weapon. Roscoe allegedly had a .38 special and Buck had a 9 mm handgun.

Johnson said it is not clear who fired the first shot, although Barnes is claiming that it was self-defense and that his brother only fired because Rosco fired first. Barnes claims that when the shooting started, he and Roscoe ran west on Oak Street, while Buck reportedly stood still firing his weapon. 

Roscoe was hit and fell in a neighbor's yard, but reportedly got up and was shot a second time and fell again. A witness reported that Buck continued to fire until his clip was empty.

Johnson said they recovered a .38 handgun and shell casings from it and a 9 mm weapon. He said only two shots were fired from the gun Roscoe supposedly had.

A second shooting that took place shortly after the first is believed to be related. According to Johnson, while they were out looking for Buck and Barnes they got a call to come to 602-B Oak St., because someone had fired shots into that house and the residents had been hit.

Johnson said a woman was shot twice in the head and once in the arm and a man that was in the house was hit in the upper chest area. He said the shooting was likely done by some of Roscoe's family members in retaliation of the first shooting. "They knew somebody stayed in one of those houses, they just shot into the wrong one," he said.

Officers found five rounds from a 9 mm handgun at the scene and witnesses reported a man dressed all in black as the shooter. Johnson said threats are circulating against the suspect and he urges him to turn himself in before any more violence takes place.

At last report, the woman was in stable condition in a Jackson area hospital. Johnson said because of the swiftness of the investigation and trying to check out all of the tips received he has not had a chance to check on the second shooting victims' condition, but plans to do that on Saturday.

Pictured with this article is Damian Desmond Buck, the man police say is the third suspect in a Wednesday night shooting that left one man dead and other injured in Indianola.


Brad Grinstead, head softball coach at Mississippi Delta Community College, announced his signing... READ MORE


Graveside services for Delois Collins Williams, 65, of Indianola will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday... READ MORE

Breaking News

Sunflower County Consolidated Schools Superintendent talks about the closure of schools during the... READ MORE